Veganwiki is a collaborative, community project to gather information useful for vegans and interested parties.
- 1 Disclaimer
- 2 About
- 3 Goals
- 4 Our rules
- 5 Milestones
- 6 Spirit of cooperation
- 7 Transparency
- 8 Free software
- 9 Open data
- 10 Categorization
- 11 Free licenses
- 12 Not for profit
- 13 Database dumps
- 14 Internationalization and localization/l18n
- 15 Community of the Communities
- 16 Unknown/open issues
- 17 See also
- Veganwiki.info disclaimer
- Before you get angry, please write us your concerns on the specific topic/article.
- It was started in 2013 by Guaka (talk) and some friends.
- Guaka (talk) felt the need for a community wiki related to veganism.
- In 2015 Huggi (talk) felt the need to contribute more time to Veganwiki
For example, but not exclusively:
- Understanding, accepting and supporting the Sustainable Development Goals actively, where it is impacting our lives
- Help people with Veganism in mind to understand specific topics better and/or find Vegan resources like: Ingredients, Recipes, Health (no, we are not the Vegandoctor), Activism, Communities in relation to: City, Country, Restaurant, Lodging, Travel, Animals, Animal products and everything which we forgot to mention but is available here...
- We're writing Veganwiki from a vegan point of view.
- Community leader for Vegans, in the manner of Wikipedia (but a bit more relaxed, not that you think we won't ask for reference)
- It does not want to compete with existing vegan and/or vegetarian websites. If you have any concerns, please let us know (use "discussion")
- Not replicating anything available in Wikipedia
- In general, our editing is "vegan", at least "vegetarian" and some content might contain also the topic of Animals or Animal products, we're not a "certified vegan" website
- Have fun with Veganism and learning more about it every day.
- Rule #1: we try to avoid setting up (quantity and quality) rules
- Rule #2: if unsure, refer to Rule #1
- Rule #3: No,no, read Rule #1
- October 2015 - a first month which is a sprint we call Etna. Stay tuned!
- September 2015 - reached 400 articles, enabled the german section with +50 articles http://www.veganwiki.info/de/ and testing the mobile app.
- December 2013 - the number of articles climbed over 200, mostly thanks to the r/vegan community jumping in
* November 20th, 2013 - We're now veganwiki.info!
- May 8th, 2013 - started experimenting with Semantic MediaWiki, check the "Edit with Form" button for cities and recipes
- April 18th, 2013 - moved to a new server, OpenID login might be broken
- April 17th, 2013 - whether you like it or not, we have a Facebook page
- April 14th, 2013 - we reached 100 articles!
- February 28th, 2013 - Our first spammer. We'll probably enforce sign-ups this week.
- February 20th, 2013 - We have a preliminary logo thanks to Mikael!
* February 18th, 2013 - vegan.wiki.yt was launched!
Spirit of cooperation
- Most action just happens - someone has an idea, goes ahead and does it.
- In case there's doubt if all veganwiki editors would be happy with action: we want a democratic work environment, where we first try to decide by consensus.
- We encourage active member participation and try to keep convivial work environments
- Try to stay friendly, e.g. not "your stuff sucks so I deleted it", but "maybe you could try to do it like this or that the next time?".
- Non-denominational which means that there is no discussion about religious views here
- As much communication and information as possible is and will be available on the internet. This excludes information such as server passwords, but it goes as far as what software and extensions are running on Veganwiki, and naturally a history of all edits ever made.
- Many decisions are made and discussed in wiki pages.
- We exclusively use free software. The entire server stack, MediaWiki, Github, any mailing list software, everything is and should be free.
- Everything we write here is free information: Creative Commons Version: by-sa-4
- This also includes the Veganwiki app
- We want to keep database dumps available at all times.
- We want to support open formats and standards, such as microformats.
- We want to use categorization for Semantics in MediaWiki
- In order to have less chaos with our articles, we use the following catgeories:
- Vegan - everything animal free
- Vegness describe the cuisine type for e.g. Venue like Restaurant, School or Shop
- Venue like a Restaurant, School, Shop, Office, Producer, Organization
- Event like on the List of vegetarian festivals
- Media like Movie, Book, Video etc..
- Non-vegan everything which is not animal free or does not support the SDGs in the first place like Palm oil and all it's products.
- Content is licensed under the Creative Commons ShareAlike Attribution license.
- Free-to-use-site: We're licensed under Creative Commons Version: by-sa-4
Not for profit
- Veganwiki costs us almost nothing, so we don't need money to run it and it's unlikely we would need money in the future.
- Veganwiki is officially owned by Guaka (talk) but if it reaches a critical mass it makes sense to transfer ownership to an official organisation.
- Nonprofit organization (NPO) we are NPO like, but we don't believe in money, we're not a 501(c)_organization
- Pay what you want, yes, it's not regulated yet, but Guaka should be rewarded with dedication for the community, feel free to pay what you want!
Veganwiki database dumps should be available at http://veganwiki.info/files/vegan/dumps/
Internationalization and localization/l18n
- Given enough interest, people should be allowed to set up their language version.
- We do not just want to have Veganwiki in English. If there's enough interest we can set up specific wikis in other languages as well. For now, it's okay if you write here in other languages, we'll just mark them as such.
- There's already a German language at de.veganwiki.org. If you want to write in German this could be a good place.
Or not, please report back. There's no clear content license, unfortunately.
Community of the Communities
- We wanna become your resource to share your Vegan ideas and content, let us know and become an active editor on Veganwiki.
- philosophical vegan forum
- "Wiki loves Vegan", a group of Wikimedians aiming to support creation and curation of vegan topics content on Wikimedia projects
- "Totally vegan buzz" has something like a vegan wiki and "Ask Vegans Anything"
- http://vegan.wikia.com/ nice but on Wikia, so slightly limited and with many ads, same free license though so we could copy from there (and back)
- veganwiki.co.uk has a list of vegan products sold in the UK
- Animal Rights Wiki on Fandom
- http://veganwiki.us/ seems unmaintained and limited in focus, (seems expired - May '20)
- Scientific bio project for Vegan Cheese
- http://veganopedia.de/ German, but a forum, not a pedia
- In German, auf Deutsch: http://de.veganwiki.org/ de.veganwiki.org
- Dutch, Nederlands: wiki.veganisme.org
"Private" initiatives we support
- Happycow extended information but not always up-to-date, also some slightly annoying ads, especially on mobile and sometimes even advertising places that serve meat.
- We don't want advertising or affiliate marketing. We would only accept it in case money would be needed and other forms of fund-raising are not succeeding.